If your payroll vendor requires you to upload XML files when setting up payroll reports via Payroll Connect, follow these steps to complete the process.
Note: The sections How to access Payroll Connect setup and Step 1: Details are the same as described in the Set up payroll reports via Payroll Connect article.
Before you begin
Contact your payroll provider and ask them to send you the XML file(s).
How to access the Payroll Connect setup
- From the left menu, select Settings > Integrations.
- Select Payroll.
- In the Payroll Connect tile:
- Click Connect if this is your first time setting up a custom payroll connection.
- Click Manage to add another custom payroll connection.
This opens the Custom payroll Integrations screen.
- Click + Add new at the bottom of the screen.
This opens the Custom vendor wizard, used to set up a custom payroll connection.
Step 1: Details
- In the Vendor name field, enter the name of the payroll system.
- From the File format dropdown, select XML.
- Select the Date format.
- If CSV or TXT are selected, select the Separator: comma or semicolon.
- In Transfer method, select how you’d like to transfer your payroll data: File download or SFTP.
- If SFTP was selected,
- From the SFTP destination target dropdown, select the desired SFTP site.
- In the To dropdown, select the employees you wish to send the files to.
- In External email recipient/s, enter the email address of any external recipients you wish to send the files. When entering multiple email addresses, separate them by pressing Enter after typing each email address.
Note: If you are using the SFTP method to connect the systems, ensure you have already set up the SFTP. To learn more, see Set up an SFTP destination.
- Click Next.
Step 2: Fields
- Click Upload XML and select the files for the report(s) you require:
- In the Sync data column, deselect any fields you do not want to be included in the payroll report.
- Click the three-dot menu to the right of the Sync data column to mark a field as mandatory or optional.
Due to the hierarchical structure of the XML file, de/selecting a ‘parent’ field will de/select all of the 'child' fields below it - both when checking a box in the Sync data column and when marking a field as mandatory or optional. De/selecting a 'child' field will de/select the 'parent' field, although not the other child fields.Example
A parent field could be ‘Address,’ and the ‘child’ fields could be ‘Address line 1’, ‘Address line 2’, ‘Zip code,’ etc.
- After uploading a Changes or Termination report, enter the Identifier field.
- Click Next.
Step 3: Value mapping
Map the values via an imported value mapping list or in Bob’s interface.
Step 4: Field mapping
- Map the fields for each uploaded report separately.
Note: Only ‘child’ fields are mapped because ‘parent’ fields do not have a value. E.g., a parent field called ‘Address’ will not have a value, so it will not be mapped, but a child field called ‘Address Line 1’ will be mapped.
- Click Done.
Your Payroll Connect integration is now set up. You can now include it when setting up your corresponding Pay cycle, then view the reports and sync/download the payroll information in the Payroll hub.
To learn more, see the Field mapping step in the Set up payroll reports via Payroll Connect article.
How do I remove or replace an XML file?
After you’ve uploaded an XML file in the Fields step, the Actions button will appear alongside the report name. Click Remove XML data to remove the file or Replace XML file to upload a new file in place of the current file.