Say, “Cheese!” A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when seeing faces on employee profiles. Profile avatars create a sense of connection and familiarity within the company, which is a valuable benefit when teams are global, and people are working remotely. It is also the quickest way for new employees to identify their colleagues, managers, and department heads.
Ensure each employee profile has a profile avatar—upload employee photos individually or in bulk.
Before you begin
Each employee’s photo file needs to be named with an identifier, such as their work email address, e.g., Gabriel's photo should be named “Gabriel@yourcompany.com.” This action is essential because Bob will assign each image to the employee with the matching identifier.
Tip: We recommend that the HR team make a special request for their employees to name their picture with their work email before it is sent to HR, as it will save time for the Admin to import the photos.
How to set permissions to upload profile pictures in bulk
Once your photos are ready, you’ll need to ensure you have permission to import pictures in bulk. An Admin will need to assign permissions to you.
- From the left menu, select Settings > Roles & Permissions.
- Click Manage Group for the permission group that includes the employees to whom you would like to provide permissions to view or manage the configured docs folders.
Tip: This may be Admins, Managers, or a custom permission group you created.
- Select the Company tab in Manage Permissions.
- Select People > Employees.
- Enable or disable Create and manage employees through the 'bulk import' function.
- Click Save Changes.
A changes summary will show you the edits made to the permissions group.
- Click Apply.
How to import profile pictures in bulk
- Name each photo with the employee’s email in the photo name.
- Compress your photos into a .zip folder. The .zip folder may have any name.
Tip: Need help with compressing files? See these instructions on zip files and folders for Microsoft OS and Mac OS.
- From the left menu, select Settings > Import.
- From the Update employee profile pictures section, click Upload .zip.
- Choose your upload method:
- Click Upload data file to select your file, then click Done.
- Drag and drop your file to upload your completed spreadsheet, then click Done.
- Select from your uploaded files to upload an existing file from the Import drive, then click Continue.
- Click Done when the upload is complete.
- From the matching method dropdown menus, select the name, matching criteria, and identifier according to how you prepared the photo names.
- You can use an Email identifier with any middle dropdown option (i.e., Exactly match, Contains, or Contains in Any Order).
- You can use the Full name identifier with the Exactly match or Contains.
- You can only use Employee ID in Company as the identifier with the Exactly match middle dropdown option.
- Click Import.
You will see a notification at the top of your screen verifying that your photo import is processing. If photos were not imported correctly, you would be notified via email.
How to upload individual profile pictures to employee profiles
If you would like to edit/upload the image of a specific employee on their Employee profile page, follow these steps:
- From the left menu, select People > Directory.
- Select the employee whose profile picture you’d like to change.
- From the employee profile page, click the employee's image or the circle with their initials.
- Click Update.
- Drag and drop the image or click browse files to select your photo, then click Upload.
- Click Done.
The new photo will be updated within a few moments.