Say, “Cheese!” A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when seeing faces on employee profiles. Profile avatars create a sense of connection and familiarity within the company, which is a valuable benefit when teams are global, and people are working remotely. It is also the quickest way for new employees to identify their colleagues, managers, and department heads.
In this video, we’ll learn how to save time and import sets of pictures into employees’ profiles all at once so you can personalize employee profiles with profile avatars.
Before we begin, make sure you…
- Name your photos with an identifier for who the profile photo will be updated. We suggest using an Employee ID or Email identifier because you may have people with the same name.
- Compress your documents into a zip file
- And lastly, enable permissions to manage bulk import in Settings to ensure you can import profile pictures in bulk.
After you have created a zip file for your photos, we are ready to import profile pictures in bulk.
From the left menu, select Settings, and then Import. In Update employee profile pictures, click Upload Zip.
Here, we can drag and drop or click browse files to select the zip file.
Now click Upload.
When the upload is complete, click Done. Here, we can select the match the information in the dropdown menus.
Bob will match the photo names with the information you match here. There’s no need to upload profile pictures separately for each employee using the identifying information written in the photo name.
And that’s it, just click Import.
Ensure each employee profile has a profile avatar—upload employee photos individually or in bulk.
Before you begin
Each employee’s photo file needs to be named with an identifier, such as their work email address, e.g., Gabriel's photo should be named “Gabriel@yourcompany.com.” This action is essential because Bob will assign each image to the employee with the matching identifier.
Tip: We recommend that the HR team make a special request for their employees to name their picture with their work email before it is sent to HR, as it will save time for the Admin to import the photos.
How to set permissions to upload profile pictures in bulk
Once your photos are ready, you’ll need to ensure you have permission to import pictures in bulk. An Admin will need to assign permissions to you.
- From the left menu, select Settings > Permission groups.
- Select the group you'd like to manage that includes the employees to whom you would like to provide permissions to import profile pictures in bulk.
Tip: This may be Managers or a custom permission group you created.
- Click Edit permissions.
- From the Features tab, select People > Employees.
- Mark or unmark the checkbox to enable or disable Create and manage employees through the 'bulk import' function.
- Click Save when you're finished adding or removing permissions, then click Apply after reviewing the summary of changes.
How to import profile pictures in bulk
- Name each photo with the employee’s email in the photo name.
- Compress your photos into a .zip folder. The .zip folder may have any name.
Tip: Need help with compressing files? Learn how to zip files and folders for Microsoft OS and Mac OS. If you are working on Windows and your file names contain special characters outside the Latin alphabet, we recommend using a tool that zips in UTF-8.
- From the left menu, select Settings > Import.
- From the Update employee profile pictures section, click Upload .zip.
- Choose your upload method:
- Click Upload data file to select your file, then click Done.
- Drag and drop your file to upload your completed spreadsheet, then click Done.
- Select from your uploaded files to upload an existing file from the Import drive, then click Continue.
- Click Done when the upload is complete.
- From the matching method dropdown menus, select the name, matching criteria, and identifier according to how you prepared the photo names.
- You can use an Email identifier with any middle dropdown option (i.e., Exactly match, Contains, or Contains in Any Order).
- You can use the Full name identifier with the Exactly match or Contains.
- You can only use Employee ID in Company as the identifier with the Exactly match middle dropdown option.
- Click Import.
You will see a notification at the top of your screen verifying that your photo import is processing. If photos were not imported correctly, you would be notified via email.
How to upload individual profile pictures to employee profiles
If you would like to edit/upload the image of a specific employee on their Employee profile page, follow these steps:
- From the left menu, select People > Directory.
- Select the employee whose profile picture you’d like to change.
- From the employee profile page, click the employee's image or the circle with their initials.
- Click Update.
- Drag and drop the image or click browse files (up to 14 MB in size) to select your photo, then click Upload.
- Click Done.
The new photo will be updated within a few moments.