Learn how to quickly set up equity tables per employee or via bulk import.
Whether a start-up or a publicly traded company, it's common practice to offer equity to employees, however, clearly understanding equity can be confusing. Mitigate this by setting up equity tables quickly and inefficiently by inputting data manually, or via bulk import.
Get the most out of Bob
Equity tables enable:
- You to plan ahead as you manage current and future employee equity plans.
- Transparency to both admins and stakeholders who can view equity status, reports and schedules.
- Saved time as they streamline the entire equity management process, including approval from C level (CFO/CEO) and the Board of Directors.
Before you begin
Set up your vesting schedule as it's mandatory for completing equity tables' setup. To learn more, see how to set up vesting schedules.
How to set up Equity tables manually (per individual employee)
Equity Tables are your single location to quickly add new and edit existing equity grant data and tables. To set up an equity table for employee(s) manually, enter the required data in the Employee Profile:
- From the left menu, select People > Directory.
- Choose an employee from the table, then click the row to reach the Employee profile page.
- In the Equity table, hover over Equity, then click the pen icon.
- Grant number: A unique number assigned per equity grant. This number can't be repeated and is a safeguard as the number assigned will serve as an identifier when searching for and importing data.
- Equity type: A piece of the company that's assigned value. Choose your equity type from the dropdown. Click Edit list to Add, Rename, or Delete.
Equity type Explanation Options Portions of the company that can be sold or bought based on certain criteria. RSU Restricted Stock Unit. Stock awards Alternative form of stock.
Note: Once you add an equity type to the dropdown, click outside the field, and it will automatically be saved.
- Grant type: Click Edit list to Add, Rename, or Delete.
Type Explanation Initial Grant based on start date. Merit Grant based on accomplishments.
- Quantity: Enter the number of units granted to the employee, e.g., 2000.
- Grant date: Enter the date on which the equity grant is approved by the company's Board of Directors.
- Vesting effective date: Select the day the grant starts to vest.
- Vesting Schedule: Defines how the equity will vest throughout the vesting term. Choose from the dropdown list. Click + Add Row, and complete the field details:
Note: The list is pulled from the vesting schedules that were pre-created by Admins. If a vesting schedule has not yet been created yet, click here for quick setup instructions.
- Grant Status: Select the approval status of your equity grant–Granted or Pending Approval.
Note: Equity grants require Board approval, which usually takes place every quarter. The Grant Status may be assigned as a commitment that only becomes a contract when the board approves it. Therefore, this field is not mandatory and serves to differentiate between equity records that are still awaiting board approval and equity grants that have already been approved by the board. You'll need to enter a value to create an initial record.
- Option expiration: Select the date which reflects the date to reflect the time in which you can no longer exercise your options, e.g. 2030.
- Exercise price: Enter the price an employee pays the company for the shares purchased when exercising options. The price is listed by unit and currency of unit, e.g., 2.00 USD.
Note: The grant price must be set on the grant date.
- Click Add, then Done.
The equity table is always accessible as a quick view of your current equity status.
How to edit or update an employee’s equity table
- From the left menu select People > Directory.
- On the Employee profile page, go to the Equity table section.
- Click the pen icon.
- Choose the row you'd like to edit, hover over the three-dot menu and click Edit.
How to set up equity tables via bulk data import
Importing bulk data is a great way to save time, especially when you’ve already organized all the information beforehand. Alternatively, you can use a simple template where you'd enter the raw data. The process for importing bulk data to employee equity tables is no different than any other standard data import:
- From the left menu select People > Import.
You'll be directed to the Import page.
- Head to the Import Table Data section and, from the dropdown, choose Equity.
- Enable Add New Data or Replace existing and Add New Records if you'd like to update data. To learn more, see how to Import table data.