Track the percentage of managers within your company
The Manager to employee ratio KPI is one of a set of vital HR KPIs created in bob to help you track and analyze the percentage of managers to employees. This tool is very useful to ensure that an organisation’s employees get the right amount of guidance and support from their manager, while their managers have sufficient time and resources to lead the members of their team (or teams) effectively. In addition, it’s a great way to assess whether managerial changes are being implemented according to company policy, eg., “X number” of employees may be assigned per manager, or whether it is time for policy updates.
Located in the KPI Dashboards module under the Growth category, the Manager to employee ratio KPI provides a clear view of company trends in terms of managerial positions.
To calculate the Manager to employee ratio KPI simply divide total employee headcount by number of managers updated.
Note - In order to be considered a “manager” the individual must have at least one person reporting to them, so make sure to maintain your “Reports to” field and have it updated for all employees. To set this up, click here.
Step 1: Set up category view settings
You can set bob to view KPI data for a particular time period via Date range and View. Whenever you configure these settings, it will impact how all of the KPI categories will be showcased in bob.
Step 2: Configure the Promotions Rate KPI
- Once you’ve arrived to the Manager to employee ratio KPI chart, click on the Group By dropdown and choose a field e.g., Department
- On the top right of the table you will see a chart icon; click on the arrow ∨ (chevron) to the right of the chart symbol
- Click the subgroups in the legend to deselect them from the view, and click on them again so that they reappear on the chart
- Activate the Over time toggle to see the total sum of the KPI data over the entire period selected in the Date range described in Step 1. This will override the KPI category View setting. Click on the desired chart type:
- Column: vertical layout of data
- Bar: horizontal layout of data
- Area : Waves
- Line: standard lines
Donut: circular representation of data
- Activate the Values toggle to showcase the numerical value of the data set
- Click Apply
To see the Promotions chart in full screen, click on View more details
- To add additional filters, click the three dot menu followed by Filter
- Use the dropdowns to select fields and configure conditions
- Click + Add condition to create additional rules and repeat as many times as you'd like, e.g., to filter specific countries choose “country,” “equals” and choose the desired country (or type it in the empty field), such as “United Kingdom.”
- To remove a condition, hover over it, and click the trash icon that appears to the right of the condition
- To reset your chart configurations, click the three dot menu followed by Reset
To download the chart, click the three dot menu followed by Download and then the file type you’d like to download. You can export a chart as a .png, .jpeg, .pdf or .svg file.
- To see the in-depth employee data included in the KPI view you have configured, click View more details under the chart
- Click on a colored portion of the chart (e.g. one of the bars in a bar chart or a segment in the donut chart). The table below the chart will display the data that specifically matches the grouping you selected, showing all of the people that belong to that group.
Use the column picker found in the top right of the table to add or remove employee information in the table
- Click on the download button to the right of the column picker to download the employee data either as an .xlsx or .csv file
- Click Back at the top left of your screen to return to the dashboard
Note: activating or deactivating the Over time toggle impacts the available chart types.
Congratulations, you can use the Manager to employee ratio KPI to track and analyze the percentage of managers to employees and ensure that teams are being arranged according to company guidelines.
Need more help? If you’re unsure about anything please submit a ticket and our Customer Experience team will be happy to assist.