When you hire a new employee, they will go through an onboarding process to be welcomed to the company and be prepared for their first day. This process involves filling in some personal details and getting an email invitation to join Bob.
With the onboarding template builder, Admins can create a customized onboarding template based on your specific business needs and processes, so that your new hires can have a smooth onboarding process for the company.
How to set up a new onboarding template
- From the left menu, select Settings > Flows > Employee Onboarding.
- Click + Add new.
You will be guided through a series of five steps to building your personalized process.
Step 1: Template details
- Fill in the Name and Description for the employee onboarding template and flow.
This Name will also be the display name when you want to trigger an onboarding process from the configured templates list. The Description helps others on your team know when to use it.
- Enable Set notifications if you wish to send an email notification when the onboarding flow is completed. Select the employees who will be notified when the onboarding is complete.
- Click Next.
Step 2: Welcome message
The introduction screen will welcome all new employees when they sign up to begin the onboarding flow.
- Fill in the Header, then fill in the Message with information about the company or process.
- In Media, attach a picture or a video (optional).
- Click Next.
Step 3: Employee details
- Select which fields the new employees should fill in as part of the onboarding process.
You can choose an entire category, such as every subfield within Basic Info, or you can select specific fields based on your business needs, such as First name, Last name, and Passport number.
- Click Next.
- The displayed categories and fields will be editable to the employee only during the onboarding process. Once onboarded, it will be based on the Profile owners permission groups.
- This step of the onboarding template only asks you to choose which fields are displayed to the employee. To enable a mandatory for employees to fill, select Settings > Employee Fields. To learn how to set up mandatory fields, see Set up employee fields.
Step 4: Introductions
In this section, Bob will introduce the new employee to colleagues and key people within the company.
- In Introduce Teammates, select Show employees from the same Department, Show teammates who share the same manager, or Don't show this section.
- In Introduce Key People, select employees.
Note: This might be your company's CEO or IT manager, for example.
- Click Next.
Step 5: Welcome email
This step allows you to create two emails that can be sent to your new hires:
In Pre-boarding Email, fill in the Subject and Compose email for the email sent before their start date. In this email, your new employees will be sent a link to start the onboarding process.
- In Start Date Email, fill in the Subject and Compose email for the email sent on their start date. They'll receive this email with a link to join Bob.
- Click Next.
Tip: To personalize these emails, use employee data annotations by clicking the + icon at the top right-hand corner of Compose email. With these annotations, you can personalize the messages Bob sends by using specific fields such as the Employee- First name and Reports to.
Step 6: Docs
This step is for those that require new employees to upload docs within the onboarding flow.
- Enable Request the new joiner to upload documents if you would like your new joiner to upload documents as part of the onboarding process. Fill in Instructions for the new joiner so your employee knows what to upload.
Note: If the new employees are requested to upload a doc, they need to have permission to upload docs. You can allow it by editing the Profile owners permission group in Settings > Role & Permissions > Profile owners.
- Select Enable company docs on this template if you would like to show your new employee the company docs folders they have access to.
- Click Done.
The new Employee Onboarding template will be saved in Flows.
Note: If the new employee is required to read and approve any documents from the New Hire wizard settings, they will be able to read and approve these documents during onboarding.
Once the employee accepts the invitation, all the steps you've configured will be displayed accordingly as part of the onboarding process.
Step 1: The Welcome message will be displayed based on the Header, Message, and Media (if included). Click Get started.
Step 2: The employee will be invited to upload a profile picture. Click Next.
Step 3: The employee will be asked to fill in the required Employee details. Click Next.
Step 4: If you requested any documents from your employees, they can upload them here and read and approve any documents previously entered into the New Hire wizard. Click Finish.
Step 5: The employee will be able to see their teammates and the company's key people.
How do I start the onboarding template with a new employee?
To trigger the template, you need to invite the new employees to join Bob. To learn how to add a new hire, see Add a new hire.
Why weren't mandatory fields in the employee profile filled in by the new employee during onboarding?
A new hire can skip the employee details step during the onboarding wizard. If a new hire chooses not to fill in the fields in the employee details step, Bob does not prevent the employee from completing the rest of the onboarding wizard. This gives the employee time to become more familiar with Bob and your organization before finalizing the details of their employee profile. On their start date, Bob will direct the new hire through the onboarding in case mandatory fields aren't complete and mandatory documents aren't uploaded.
Why is the intended destination folder not showing for new hires in their onboarding flow?
Ensure that new hires have permission to upload documents in the Profile owner role. To learn more, see Create a document folder.
Why is the Vimeo video link not working in the flow?
Ensure in the Vimeo settings that the video is marked as public.