Employee Fields is where all fields available throughout Bob are managed, including those used when creating task lists, flows, new hire wizards, onboarding, and conditions and filters across areas in Bob.
Tip: If you are in the process of implementing Bob, we recommend that you create any custom fields you need before importing employees' data. You will, however, be able to create custom fields at any time and add the relevant information manually or via bulk import. To learn more, see Import people data.
How to customize the profile summary
- Click Settings > Employee Fields.
- From the Profile Summary section, select the three-dot menu to the right, then click Edit.
- Select the fields you would like to be displayed on the employee profile summary. You can delete fields displayed in the profile summary by clicking the X to the right of the field name.
- Click Save.
Tip: You can reorder the profile summary fields by selecting the three-dot menu to the right of the Profile Summary card, then click Reorder. Drag and drop the fields to reorder the fields as you wish, then click Save.
How to add a new category
Fields are grouped into categories. In addition to the default Personal, Basic info, and Work categories, you can edit categories and create your own categories.
- Click + New category.
Note: You can also edit an existing category. Click the three-dot menu of the category name, then select Edit.
- Write a name and description (optional).
- Click Add.
How to add a new table
Each category can hold either fields or tables. As a default, we have tables such as work, employment, address or payroll but you can create your own table:
- Select the category you would like to add a new table.
- In the Category Tables section, click + New Table.
- Write a name and description (optional).
- Click Save.
How to add a new field or column
Some fields, such as address or salary changes, include historical data tables to allow tracking of information over time. Some other tables hold multiple records, such as the Dependents table. You can edit or add to the contents of fields or tables to personalize the employee profile and people data you collect.
- Select the category where you want to add or edit a field or table.
- In Category fields, click + New field or in Category tables, click + New column.
Tip: Want to edit a field or column instead? Click the three-dot menu to the right of the field, then click Edit.
- Enter a field or column name, then choose the type of field:
- Text area
Tip: The system will not read or display a numeric field starting with 0. If you want the field to display numbers that begin with 0, use a text field.
- List: A list with preset options that you define.
- Multi list: Multi-select list with preset options that you define.
- Employee reference: List of all the active employees in the company.
- Hierarchical list: For creating an organizational structure or dependent lists.
Note: The Type cannot be edited once it has been created.
- Mark the Mandatory field checkbox if you would like to require people to complete this.
- Write a description if you’d like.
- If you want the field to be applicable to a specific site, select which Sites the field will be applied to, then click Apply.
- Click Add or Save if you are editing an existing field or column.
Tip: You can reorder the fields within a category as well as reorder categories. Drag and drop the fields or categories to adjust the ordering. To change the placement of a field from one category to another, click the three-dot menu, then select Move to category. Select the desired Category from the dropdown menu, then click Save.
How to archive and delete categories, tables, fields, and columns
- Select the category, table, field, or table you’d like to delete.
- Click the three-dot menu to the right of the item.
- Select Archive, then click Archive.
When you archive an item, the data (e.g., all of the addresses) will be archived as well and hidden across the platform.
Note: If you have fields within the category that are mandatory, you won't be able to archive the category.
Why can’t I edit a field or table to mark it as mandatory?
Some fields, such as Full name, Age, and Birthday are calculated fields. The data comes from other employee fields and can not be marked as mandatory. However, requiring a First and Last name, for example, will ensure you gather the data you want.
How do I use an item I archived in the past again?
You can restore an item that has been archived. When you restore an item, the data will be restored as well. From the left menu, select Settings > Employee Fields. From the dropdown menu, select Archived. Click the three-dot menu to the right of the item you’d like to restore, then select Restore. Click Restore. The item will be restored to its original location before being archived.
How do I permanently delete an archived item and its data?
You can permanently delete an item without the chance of later restoring the data. From the left menu, select Settings > Employee Fields. From the dropdown menu, select Archived. Click the three-dot menu to the right of the item you’d like to permanently delete, then select Delete. Write DELETE to confirm, then click Delete. This cannot be undone.
Pre-defined fields can only be archived, not deleted.
What permissions do I need to edit or add Employee Fields?
Check your permissions to set who can access Employee Field Settings in Settings > Roles & Permissions. This is generally a setting recommended only for HR Admins, but you may want to add permissions for a custom permission group such as your Finance team, for example. To learn more, see Create a custom permission group.