There are a few different ways to set up how Time Off requests are approved and by whom.
If no other approval set up has been done all requests, for policies that require approval, will go directly to the line manager.
Only have one person who approves Time Off requests?
You can appoint a sole approver to replace all direct managers here:
Have a two-step approval process?
Once you've flicked the switch on two-step approval, indirect managers will be appointed as the second approver by default. However, you can also appoint a sole second stage approver to replace all indirect managers.
There are a couple of ways yo can override the default approval settings:
- Set a specific approval settings for an employee
- Set a specific approval settings for a group of employee for a given policy type.
Set a specific approval settings for an employee
You can set an approval settings that will override the company (default) settings for a specific employee via the Employee's Time Off Settings.
- Via the People's time off grid, click the employee you wish to set a unique approval settings.
- In the Employee's time off screen, click the Actions menu and select "Change Approver".
- In the dialogue, select the type of approval settings. The options are
- "Set approvers": set the employee's approver settings, by selecting the 1st stage approver (either by role - Manager or appoint a specific employee from list). You may also set a 2nd stage approver (either by role - Indirect Manager or appoint a specific employee from list).
- "Reset to company default": If there is a custom approval settings for the employee, you may revert the approval settings to the default company approval settings
- "No approval required": employee's who do not require that their time off requests are approved (typically C level executives)
4. Click the "Apply" button apply the changes.
Bulk change the approval settings for a group of employees for a policy type
Another way to override the company approval settings, is to bulk change the approval settings for a selected group of employees for a specific policy type.
Example: you may want that all employees from a specific department will have a different approval scheme when requesting Sick leave.
- Via the People's Time Off screen, select the policy type to which the change in approval scheme will be applied
- Using the filters, narrow down the employees you wish to apply the settings.
- Tick the employees you wish to apply the custom approval settings in the grid (or click the select all).
- From the Actions menu, click the "Change approver" option.
- In the dialogue that opens, select the type of approval scheme.
Please note: when changing the approval scheme for a group of employees and clicking the "Apply" button, you may be prompted that there are some exceptions/errors that may require your attention. Click the number shown on the event to see the list of employee it applies to.
6. Click "Yes, Apply" for the changes to take effect.