Save time and increase productivity: Custom Flows allow you to delegate employee changes tasks to your managers and admins.
About bob's Custom Flows
The Custom flows functionality enables you to manage HR business processes and employee changes. In every Custom flow you create you can fully customize and define the specific fields to be changed, along with the set of To Dos to trigger, and add an unlimited number of approvers.
You are able to segment who each flow will apply to by site and/or department. So when a new hire joins your London site, for instance, they will automatically be associated with any flows segmented to the London site.
Once your flow is up and running, you can track its progress in the convenient status view, so that you always know where things stand.
Custom flows how-to
Setting Up a New Custom flow
To create a new flow you’ll need to define the fields and process flow according to your needs. You can start by editing one of bob’s preset flows, or create one from scratch.
Let’s first look at how to create a completely new Custom Flow:
- Click Settings on the side menu and select Flows.
- Under Flow Settings you will see all of your available flows, and you’ll be able to create new ones.
- To create a flow, click on Add a new flow.
- Enter a name for your new flow in the Flow name field.
- If you would like, type a description in the Description field.
- Now define who this flow will apply to. Under Applies To choose between all of your employees, or a specific subset. When selecting Subset of employees, the Applies to dropdown will appear where you can choose your segmentation based on site and/or department.
- Select the field and/or fields to be changed as part of the flow in Select category& fields. All fields included in the employee card are available here, including your custom fields!
- If you would like to automatically trigger a To Do list once this flow is complete, turn on the Initiate Workflow toggle and select the desired To Do list from the dropdown. You will be able to choose from any To Do list you have set up in Todos > Workflows.
- To add approvers to this flow, turn on the Add approvers toggle and scroll or search and click to select your first approver.
- Click Add another approver and select as above, repeating in the next field down for as many approvers as you’d like.
- Press on the Create button.
- You’re done creating a Custom Flow! This flow is now available to activate by whomever you provided permissions to.
To create a Custom Flow by editing one of bob’s preset flows:
- From the side menu, click on Settings followed by Flows.
- Under Flow settings you will see all of your available flows, and you’ll be able to create new ones by clicking on Add a new flow.
- Click to select one of bob’s preset flows, such as Promotion.
- Continue steps 5 through 13 as explained in how to create new Custom flowsabove, and change or edit the existing values according to your needs.
Activating a Custom Flow
Ready to promote an employee, or make another change? Use your Custom flows to save time and preserve the integrity of your data.
To activate a Custom Flow:
- Go to People on the side menu and find or search the employee you’d like to run the flow for.
- Click the employee's name to enter their card or check the box next to their name.
- Click on the Actions button at the top, go to Update Employee, and select the desired flow.
- Update the fields you wish to change. Keep in mind that if there is an effective date for this change, you must specify when you would like the changes to go into effect.
- Click Next to submit. In flows without approvers changes will apply now, and if there is an associated To Do list, it will trigger.
- If there are approvers in the flow, a notification will be sent at this time to the 1st (or only) approver about the change. He/she will be asked to approve or reject the change.
- The same will happen consecutively for each additional approver. Once all approvals have been made the change will apply and if you selected to follow with a To Do list, it will trigger. → If any approver rejects the change request, subsequent approvers will not be notified and the change will not be made. In this case, the change initiator will be notified that the request was denied.
- Now you can track the status of all the approval requests in the Activated flows tab under To dos.
Flows status and approval:
Permissions: Managers & Custom Groups
To assure only your Custom flow is used to make changes to the category or fields you’ve selected, and give managers and custom groups permission to trigger flows, follow these steps:
- Access your user settings from Settings in bob's main (side) menu.
- Click on the Roles & Permissions tab.
- Click Manage Group under the name of the group for whom you would like to manage flow permissions.
- Under Other Employees click on People, followed by Flows and select Trigger flows.
- Verify the group has permission to view the fields added to the flow, and removetheir edit permissions for those fields.
That's it. You're ready to go with Custom Flows!
Delegate and collaborate harmoniously, with the streamlined decision-making process you'll be boosting productivity in no time .
Need more help? If you're unsure about anything please send us a message through the chat icon below.